Thursday, May 17, 2007

Day 3 (16th May): Participatory Market Mapping exercises

Another tough but great day.

I arrived from work to the hotel at 6:45 PM and collapsed again for like an hour or so.
Today, we moved ahead in the application of PMSD. We focused on PMM.
It was great! Taking into account the general implementation secuence (preparation -> PMSA -> action plan), we did two simulations of a preparation session:
  • I asked them to imagine that we are the project team and that we needed to go through the preparation phase, with a special focus on preliminary PMM. The final product?: The team's hibiscus market map, which is going to be a reference point for the real thing (the PMM with the stakeholders).
  • We went through the exercise as we all contributed with our own perceptions, experiences, and knowledge... putting the market puzzle together.

'Ok... now take a good look at my amazing bicep... this is how you twist the market system'

Super-Khalid taking the lead in the exercise

Then, I asked Riffat to practice what he learned and lead the following PMM exercise for the livestock project.

'I do not have the same biceps as Lucho but I can also twist my market system!
(Note how Khalid rubs his bicep as a sign of pain from the previous exercise)'
PMM... it's a kind of magic...

Khalid, Riffat and Shibby in a lively discussion about the livestock market system in Kassala

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Lucho,
I went through your blog thing and I found it quite interesting- more so because the “outline” or the composition here in this report is more relaxed and informal. Its like “easy reading” with friendly text (reader-friendly?) but with important messages nevertheless. Keep it up friend!! May be u could add some interesting issues as well that could be an eye opener for the readers (especially Aim 2) across our country offices. For example, what are the major issues on Hisbiscus that came out of the discussion? What “did” work and can be replicated/adapted by others? Thanks for the info about Majoub from Sudan. Attended PID training together in Uganda..GRand ol'man. I aim to keep in touch with him.

I liked ur biceps too but would be better if u can make it more proportionate vis-à-vis the size of ur belly..careful there….

Keep going..

Regards,
Sharad

About Me

My photo
I contribute to the quality and effectiveness of Practical Action's Markets and Livelihoods Program. My roles involve building the capacity of the field teams in participatory market systems development, project design and monitoring, knowledge management, and international influencing. Projects that I have or am managing: USAID AMAP Becoming an Effective Learning Organization; and New Partners for Value Chain Development Learning. I facitate the Market Facilitation Initiative (MaFI) which is a working group of the SEEP with the technical support of Practical Action. I moved from Chemical Engineering into appropriate technologies in 1995 and then worked for seven years in Fundacion Social (Colombia) in the field of International Cooperation. During that period I acquired experience in participatory local development and project design and M&E. I was a fellow of the W.K. Kellogg Foundation in two programs; I studied International Cooperation and Development Projects and I have an M.Phil. in Development Studies from the Institute of Development Studies (UK) where I focused on value chains, innovation systems and social networks.